Gbd pipe dating
He provided some close up photos of the bowl and rim. My guess was that like the bowl, the shank and mortise would need some attention. The stem had a lot of tooth chatter and some shallow tooth marks in the Lucite.While I was staying with my brother, I cleaned and reamed the pipe.The rim had some darkening that I could reduce some more as well.I used the Savinelli Fitsall Reamer to scrape the remaining thin cake from the walls of the bowl.Last evening I took the pipe out of the box to finish the clean up and restoration.I took some photos of it before I started to have a benchmark. It was better than when I started but still needed to be cleaned up some more.
The airway in the stem was also dirty and had some darkening at the button and in the first few inches of the stem.I applied the stain, flamed it and repeated the process until the bowl was covered evenly. I sanded the bowl with micromesh sanding pads to make it more transparent and to see if I could make the grain pop. I put the stem on and decided to work on sanding out the inside of the bowl to remove the polishing compound and remnants of cake.